Thursday, September 22, 2016

Reno Air Race

On Sunday some friends and myself went down to the air race held in Reno, NV. I heard about it from another friend and didn't know a lot of the details, just there would be WWII planes there and that alone made me want to go.

The trip was last minute, but I will forever be glad I went. Not only did I get to see the WWII planes, but the races were wonderful to watch - and filled me with the desire to race myself - but the Blue Angels were also there and it has been far too long since I have last seen them.


The history behind this plane was incredible. Around since WWII it changed hands from owner to owner and preformed nearly everything from a fighter plane to a mail carrier.

An amazing WWII jet.


By the time we entered an army transport the unthinkable had happened to me. My camera batteries had died and I had no others. I always ALWAYS carry spares. Leave it to the day I see the Blue Angels to not have extra. All the rest of these pictures were taken with my phone. I felt like a common tourist, only worse because my phone isn't that advanced for stunning picture quality. But it was better than nothing.

The seats inside the carrier.

View from the pilot seat, where I sat.

Controls


A fighter jet we were able to look inside of.

This man was inspiring. I wanted to talk to him but had the wrong tickets. He was constantly told he couldn't fly and fought hard to get his licences. Now he is a stunt pilot, one of the best in the world. He flew a bright red biplane I was unable to get a close picture of, thanks to my lack of camera. But his stunts were amazing, and it was clear he was a complete showoff and proud of it.

Him shooting straight up in the air.


The flag carriers for the Blue Angel performance. 


My attempt to get a good picture of the Blue Angel planes.


IN THE AIR!























As you can see, my pictures don't do the show justice. They were simply breath taking to watch. I forgot how graceful and beautiful they looked in the air, like they were doing some kind of elegant dance. They were also frightening, watching them speed at each other only to turn at the last possible second.

If ever anyone has a chance of seeing them I would highly recommend it. Their show is well worth the money and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment